In August of 2026, Wheeltop pushed a new version of firmware and a mobile app supporting the GeX system (and others, I assume). This is the first big update I've seen since I purchased it a year and a half ago. It dramatically changes the setup process for the better.
For my full writeup of the GeX installation, see my original post, particularly the part on tuning and software
Firmware updates
- My rear derailleur firmware made a big jump from version 2.67 (the one it shipped with) to version 22.4. I did not see intervening ones when I looked so they may not have been released to normal users.
- There was also an update to the ANT+ firmware from 6.2 to 6.4 that says it "optimized battery display". Based on my first ride, it seems to be giving more accurate display on my Garmin. We'll see how it goes.
- Right shifter (and now it's called a 'shifter' not a 'finger' in the English version) updated from 4.30 (as shipped) to 4.33 with the only claim of reduced power consumption. My shifter batteries lasted about 1.5 years before I replaced them so it was good.
- Left shifter updated from 3.25 to 4.33 with the same mention of "optimized DIP switch power consumption". I assume DIP switch is a translation issue for the main switches. There are no DIP switches the user messes with.
Mobile App (iOS)
- It has a much more elegant look and much better translations.
- Connecting to the system is more intuitive. You no longer have to specifically tap the Bluetooth icon to connect. It's now more intuitive where it just tries to connect when you open the app. It also retries automatically. Big usability improvement
- First stop is a quick status panel for battery information. This makes it way easier to use. I think you can also shut down the derailleur from there. Some people use it for transport. I don't and haven't missed it. And I did not test it yet because you needed to use the power cable to reactivate it before. Not sure if it's still that way.
Configuring the cassette has changed completely and for the better.New derailleur settings - It still has the flexibility to use all sorts of cassettes.
- You first set the "flywheel" setting to let it know how many cogs yours has. But it's now right there on the screen, making it obvious
- You still start with "Initial Calibration," where it will walk you through putting it in the small cog and then manually aligning the jockey wheel to it so that it has a baseline. This is really easy now that the derailleur updates in real time while you push the buttons.
- At this point, you might be done. Try it. Run up and down the cassette one at a time and see if it shifts cleanly.
If it does not, this is where there is another huge improvement: The Fine-tuning adjustments work in real-time. Click the button, and it moves. Before, you had to change a number, then shift one way and back to see the effect. It's much better this way. It also seems to do away with the old 'random number' table but the numbers are listed there under the current gear indicator. Ignore the labels on the adjustment buttons on screen. Just click on the button in the direction you want to move the derailleur.
Old configuration table - The shifter configuration screens are a bit more clear as well. The icons are so small as to test your eyes, but they clearly indicate which button you are setting and what it will do.
Note to upgraders:
If you are upgrading, expect to lose your configuration but do not fear it. The button settings will revert to default. I suspect the tuning did too because a few cogs weren't working right for me after the update. Check after updating.
If your cassette isn't right, do the full setup again, starting with 'Initial Calibration' on the small cog. Don't worry, in the new app, it's very easy. I tried trimming first, and when my 11 cog (smallest) was off, it wouldn't let me adjust it. It wanted me to re-initialize. That was simple and I then undid the trim I'd been messing with for good shifting at the defaults (except a minor trim on one)
Comments
Post a Comment